Jack Ma Exits Paytm Mall; Sells 43% For ₹42 Cr

Five years after making its biggest bet in India’s e-commerce market, Jack Ma-led Alibaba and Ant Financials have exited Paytm E-commerce, the parent entity of Paytm Mall

Paytm ecommerce bought back the entire stake of Alibaba (28.34%) and Antfin (Netherlands) Holding (14.98%), a total of 43.32%, for Rs 42 crore, according to the company’s filings.

This values the company at a mere ₹100 crore, plunging from $3 billion, the valuation the Vijay Shekhar Sharma-led company fetched in its last fundraising that was in 2020.

Paytm ecommerce has proposed reducing the company’s equity share capital and securities premium account and said it would hold an extraordinary general meeting on 23 May.

Paytm Mall spokesperson said, "We are focused on our transition to build a sustainable business in partnership with ONDC and are excited about the future of e-commerce in India. As part of the shift in the business direction of the company, PEPL also saw the exit of  early investors. The exit price of any investor(s) in the company via capital reduction process is not reflective of the valuation of the company and neither does the exit have any link to any FDI laws. One simple metric is to consider that our cash balance itself is significantly higher than the quoted number in media reports, which establishes that the suggested low Fair Market Valuation is completely inaccurate."

Around The World